10.1.13

Mt Cook National Park

Mount Cook/Aoraki and the Tasman glacier from Google Earth

During our fieldtrip we stayed at the glorious Alpine lodge in Mount Cook national park, it was certainly one of the most stunning places I have ever been in my life, if you enjoy wild scenery then visiting this national park should definitely be on your bucket list.

This place left me utterly stunned through a combination of beautiful glaciers, rope bridges, breath taking mountains, aquamarine streams, wettas and the fact that it was 30 degrees and there was still snow on top of the mountains!

I'm really glad I got to visit this place and see the stunning Mount Cook standing at 3754 metres, apparently some people can be there for a week and never see it because of the weather, we were lucky it was pretty fabulous weather while we were there.

We also got to do the fieldwork for our group projects here, my group was investigating the origin of moraine sedimentary material, so we got to trek across the park climbing up various dangerous moraines, I'm not gonna lie I had a great time!

This is evidently why some people never see Mount Cook, ridiculous how quickly it got sunny afterwards though!

A photo of us looking epic while doing some geomorphological mapping.

Glacial stream.

Me sitting on a moraine :)

The safest bridge you have ever seen.

Proglacial lake of the Tasman glacier, you don't want to know how cold that water is believe me!

The Tasman glacier with Mount Cook in the background.

Some more stunning mountain scenery.

Scree slope.

Grasshopper, these things were literally jumping at our feet!

To give this photo some perspective, that building you say in the middle-right is actually a village :)

Two of the many many moraines we sampled, great spot for lunch!

Mount Cook at sunset!

So that was Mount Cook national park, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and I've been to a fair few now! Would love to live on the doorstep of this place even though it is prone to small earthquakes and landslides. Visit this place and you will definitely not be disappointed.
Peace
x

No comments:

Post a Comment